Graham Williamson Trophy Final Review

Written by: Nick Archer
Date: 13/09/2021

< go back
Barnt Green became the first club to win the Graham Williamson Trophy for the third year running since Shrewsbury achieved the remarkable feat of six wins “on the trot” between 2010 and 2015 when they defeated Ombersley by four wickets at Cherry Hill Road at the third time of asking, following two postponements in May and June. Overall, they have, now, won the competition on five occasions and next year they will have the opportunity to draw level with the Shropshire club on six.   

Boosted by the inclusion of England white ball international Tom Banton and Warwickshire’s big-hitting Ed Pollock, Barnt Green were pegged back in their pursuit of the visiting side’s 173 all out after Pollock had given them a flying start. The left-hander began by clubbing three sixes in the first over of the Barnt Green reply but, when he was bowled for 44, from 21 balls, by Tom Brown with the score on 61 for 2, Dominic Harding played a mature innings of 69 not out to see the home side to victory. Harding and Ben Chapman-Lilley (31) added 83 for the fourth wicket and took their side to within eight runs of success before a late flurry of three wickets caused a few flutters in the home dressing room as the later batters rushed to put on their pads! George Panayi took 2 for 45 for Ombersley and the late introduction of Henry Wilde into the attack saw him pick up two wickets for one run from his only over.   

Earlier in the day, Panayi (63) and skipper Liam Gwynne (36) were the main contributors to the Ombersley total which looked about 25 under par after they had won the toss and elected to bat first, even without the threat of Banton and Pollock in waiting. Although the Somerset player missed out with the bat, he was successful with the ball, picking up 4 for 28 from seven overs of nicely flighted off-spin. Adam Hines (3 for 45) kept up the pressure at the other end after Barnt Green skipper Darrel Williams had picked up the valuable wickets of Nick Hammond and Gareth Andrew at a personal cost of 32 runs.   

At the end of the game, trophies were awarded to the skipper of the winning team and the skipper of the losing team by League President Bill Smith.