Graham Williamson Trophy Final

Written by: Nick Archer
Date: 27/09/2020

< go back
Holders Barnt Green retained the Graham Williamson Trophy with a comfortable five wicket win over West Bromwich Dartmouth, who struggled to reach 137 all out with one ball remaining from their allocation of 40 overs after they were invited to bat first in the end of season finale held at Moseley. A devastating new ball spell from Barnt Green’s Andy Sutton (3 for 16) immediately put Dartmouth on the back foot as he claimed the wickets of Ismail Mohammed, Valeed Butt and Tom Brown; Mohammed for a single and the latter two without scoring. Omar Ali, who was dropped early on at second slip off Adam Hines, struck a bold 45 from 46 balls but once he was bowled by Robbie Shurmer, the Dartmouth innings stuttered to 89 for eight and it required a fighting ninth wicket stand of 43 by Manraj Johal (28) and Ian Stevenson (22) to see them to a disappointing final total which looked around 30 runs under par. Shurmer finished with 3 for 9 from eight overs to complete a remarkable weekend, returning the figures of 4 for 13 from the 16 overs he bowled in the Semi-Final and Final! The other wicket takers for Barnt Green were spinners Jacques Banton (2 for 32) and Darrel Williams (1 for 33). Mindful of the attacking threat posed by Ed Pollock, off spinner Kadeer Ali opened the bowling for Dartmouth but it was Johal who took the Warwickshire player’s wicket as he nicked the seamer’s first delivery of the second over to slip. Despite this early setback, Barnt Green were soon up and running, thanks to a second wicket stand between Ben Chapman-Lilley and Banton, who was lbw to Shahzeb Raja for 33 with the total on 56. Amrinder Brar and Dom Harding were also dismissed by Raja (3 for 23) and at 65 for 4, the result was in the balance. However, Chapman-Lilley paced the innings superbly and shared a stand of 43 for the fourth wicket with Will Baker (25) to see Barnt Green beyond the 100 mark. Dartmouth, also, missed a number of opportunities in the field before Baker was dismissed at 108 but Dan Meredith joined Chapman-Lilley and they steered Barnt Green to victory with more than five overs remaining. Chapman-Lilley faced 98 balls, hit seven boundaries and finished unbeaten on 54, while Meredith was undefeated on 10 when the winning runs were completed. At the end of the game, Barnt Green skipper Darrel Williams was presented with the Graham Williamson Trophy by League President Godfrey Lamb, who also handed the runners-up trophy to Dartmouth’s Ian Stevenson.